Football is great and all, but here at Bacon Bros., we’re kinda all about the food on Super Bowl Sunday. No matter if you’re tailgating at the big game or watching from your living room with a group of friends, chances are you’re gathered around something tasty. Leave it to us to bring the party snacks to the next level a la Bacon Bros. Bacon Caramel Popcorn. Sweet, salty, complex- this is the ultimate game day crowd-pleaser. Thank us later.
BACON CARAMEL POPCORN
1/2 gallon popped popcorn
½ cup roasted peanuts
½ cup finely chopped rendered bacon
1.5 cups water
1 cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup corn syrup
½ cup butter
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 tablespoons salt
1. Add sugars, water, corn syrup and butter to a heavy bottom pot and bring to 300F with a candy thermometer. Have the baking soda and salt nearby to add to the caramel once it reaches 300.
2. Add it and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to incorporate fully.
3. While your caramel cooks, have your popped popcorn, toasted peanuts and finely chopped bacon in a large bowl we have and in the oven at 250F.
4. Have a full sheet pan with a silt pat in the oven (you want everything very hot so that the caramel does not seize up while mixing.)
5.When your caramel reaches 280 degrees, pull out your pan and bowl of goods and have in a secure place.
6. After you have added baking soda and salt, pour the hot mixture into the center of your popcorn using a wooden spoon that has been sprayed with non-stick spray; mix until incorporated.
7.Lay out on your sheet pan and carefully pull apart the kernels of corn (do not allow to clump together.) This will take about 10-15 minutes, but keep working. Careful, it is hot and it burns.
Once you notice it starting to harden you are safe to jar it up and serve.